My Dog's Allergy to Fleas and Essential Oils
My elderly dog Scruffy (14yo Australian Terrier) has always been sensitive to flea bites
On the rare occasion he has an attack he is tormented for weeks later with an allergy to the flea bites
which manifests as a very irritating itch which causes him to GNAW at himself continually. He can be very compulsive with the GNAWING
. I put a hood on his head when I’m home but have to take it off whenever I go out.
I have tried a few drops of Thieves oil in water in a spray bottle and it reduces the problem
for a short time but he is back gnawing himself in no time. I also put Lavender on his collar to try to relax him from the compulsiveness.
I am concerned about putting oils directly on the area because I know he will lick it off and I am unsure about which oil and importantly how much oil is ok for a small dog (6.5kg) to ingest
At present he is on Steroids to relieve the problem but I would LOVE to use the YL essential oils as a more natural
I am wondering if you have any suggestions
for me to alleviate poor Scruffy’s symptoms?ANSWER:
Thanks for your question. Firstly, I do have to suggest that your dog be thoroughly checked by a vet first and given the all clear
to use essential oils.
I am sure that we can help Scruffy with essential oils for his flea bites and allegies
, and even the compulsiveness too!
Firstly, it is very important
to only use Young Living essential oils for these reasons:
- The purity is guaranteed so if Scruffy gets essential oils into his mouth (via licking etc), you need not worry. These
oils are uncut, unadulterated, chemcial free and most animals are attracted to them because they are so pure. Animals are intuitive about this and I find the stop when they have had enough.
- Using an inferior essential oil could result in either no effect or actually making the condition worse (and of course, you don't want that).
I would use the following essential oils for fleas
- Peppermint - a drop in his shampoo, to prevent and kill any fleas present.
- Apply a drop or two of Purification* to the tips of his ears, around the neck and at the base of the tail.
- Make a spray bottle (make sure the bottle is glass) of 10 drops of peppermint essential oil and 10 drops of Thieves* essential oil blend in 100mL of water and spray bedding etc for prevention.
For the flea allergy
I would use the following essential oils (a drop of each) in a tablespoon V6* carrier oil and rub onto the affected area a couple of times a day:
- Lavender essential oil - soothes and regenerates skin.
- Roman Chamomile essential oil - Great for soothing itchiness.
- Cedarwood essential oil - flea deterrent and regenerates skin.
- Pine essential oil - flea deterrent, relieves anxiety.
I would also consider using some Peace and Calming
* on the paws to help settle Scruffy when the itching becomes particularly bad.
I think the key here is regular application
covering all the issues outlined above, to consistently work on the prevention, the allergy and the compulsiveness.
Of course, I only use and recommend Young Living Essential Oils. *These products are only available from Young Living Essential Oils. Please visit my store
for more information.
I hope you find this information helpful and Scruffy is better in no time!
Best wishes to you and Scruffy!
Essential Oil Goddess